Friday, May 29, 2009

Iquitos, Peru Mission Trip 2009


One week from today I will be on a plane headed for the Amazon Jungle. Now there's a statement I would have never dreamed would cross my lips.

Myself and a handful of others are going on a mission trip to Iquitos, Peru, smack dab in the middle of the Amazon rain forest, on the Amazon River. If you've ever seen the shows on the Discovery Channel where they go on expeditions in search of the giant anaconda, and see piranhas and crocodiles along the way...well, that's where we are headed. You can't get to Iquitos by road, cause there ain't one. It's either up the river, or in a plane.

We will fly out of Birmingham to New Jersey, then almost directly south to Lima, Peru. We will spend a few hours in a hotel, then hop in a plane early the next morning and go to Iquitos. There we will spend a week doing door-to-door evangelism, discipleship for new believers, training local church members, and helping plant new churches. At the end of the week we will have a quick boat ride on the Amazon River, then head back home.

This will be my third mission trip in a year's time, since I went on my first one to Pisco, Peru. The second one I went on was to Changuinola, Panama. Now I'm headed back to Peru, but a very different part. Pisco was almost like a desert, and on the Pacific coast, South of Lima. This time we will be in tropical jungle conditions (you know, yellow fever, malaria, typhoid, etc...). Lisa was actually planning on going on this trip, but baby boy Harper put the kibosh on that plan. Lisa can't fly (in a plane. I know you know that she can't literally fly, even when she isn't expecting) right now. She'll get to go on one of these trips soon.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it. I've only been on two mission trips so far, but the things God does when you go on mission is almost unbelieveable. If I hadn't lived some of the things I experienced, I would never believe my own stories. I'm excited about what will happen this time. I expect big things, and that's not too much for God to deliver on.

Pray for the trip; that God's will will be accomplished through us, and that many new worshippers will be added to the kingdom of God.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

No comments:

Post a Comment